Re: speedometer

To: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>, "Dean" <dht3000@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: speedometer
From: "James Lea" <clocks@midcoast.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:15:51 -0400
Dean. I just when through the same scenario replacing everything one by one
and it turned out to be a bad angle drive. The angle drive actually works on
a worm gear that has a two inch piece of cable fastened to the out end of
the gear. That short cable can wear out after a while and when it does it
can unravel a little at a time which allows the speedo to waver. Eventually
the cable will part and the speedo will stop altogether. That is the first
thing I would check. Unfortunately the short cable is not available because
it is swaged into the gear. I drove mine out and attempted to replace it but
I don't think it's worth the time. A new angle drive is $63. In my research
I found that the angle drive is the same one used on Later MG's and many
other British cars. I guess it was an off the shelf component. Good luck. JL

James Lea
Rockport Maine
1962 BT7 II