Engine rebuild wisdom sought

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild wisdom sought
From: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:55:21 EST
Listers,

My engine is sitting on the engine stand and I am getting ready to start
working on it.  My intention is to go thru it pretty thoroughly and inspect
and
replace anything that needs attention.  I was running well when I  removed it.
 Good compression.  No major leaks.  But when it goes  back in the car I
intend for it to be a long time before it comes out again, so  I'd like to be
as
proactive as possible now.  On the list I sometimes read  rather ominous things
about the Healey engines being 'special' and that you need  to 'know them' to
rebuild them.  This is my first time working extensively  on a Healey engine
and the workshop manual seems to be pretty detailed on  disassembly and
inspection of parts.  Are there any other written sources I  might tap into for
'secrets' of Healey engine work?  Or, is the  manual pretty much all I will
need,
along of course with engine  repair knowledge, which I have a decent amount
of?  30 years a  mechanical engineer has taught me to proceed cautiously on new
projects and  seek expert advise when needed .... like now!  I'm sure I'll be
hitting the  list up for advice along the way also.  Thanks for any
advise/recommendations.

Dave
61 BN7