Re: Re:Knock Off, again

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re:Knock Off, again
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:24:23 -0400
You can prove that the knockoffs are self-tightening by painting a couple of
dots, side by side, one on the knockoff and one adjacent to that on the wheel
hub, after installing and tightening the knockoff.  You can really pound on
the knockoff (but not necessary) to get it tight, then drive for a while.  No
matter how tight you got the knockoff to start with, the marks will now be
misaligned in the TIGHTENING direction.  That's why I wait until I have put a
few miles on the car after tightening the knockoffs before painting these
"witness marks" on.  I only do that because they give a quick visual
indication if the knockoffs should happen to loosen for some reason.  To date,
none of my knockoffs have ever loosened themselves, and I have now convinced
myself that the witness marks are unnecessary.

I have a lead hammer, but I prefer to use it with a piece of 2 x 4 (or lumber
of your choice) to install or remove the knockoffs.  After a while, the wood
will splinter and be replaced with another piece; but neither the knockoffs
nor the lead hammer will be damaged.  I have used this method for 15 years
after replacing all my knockoffs, and none of them have a mark on them.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA