Re: Garage lifts

To: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Garage lifts
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:45:33 -0600
Dave,

I agonized over this for months and have just ordered a two post
assymetric lift. My brother-in-law has a four post lift which is nice
for storage of a vehicle to make use of floor space but causes
difficulty when servicing wheels, brakes, shocks, springs, etc. You have
to jack the suspension up to get the wheels off. The ramps along both
sides hinder access as well. It probably is a little sturdier and car
placement on the ramps isn't quite as tricky.

On the other hand, a two post unit with assymetric arms gives the
ultimate freedom in servicing everything under the car. Also there are
no long ramps making the the use of the floor space for anything, other
than servicing. difficult.

There are other reasons I made the choice I did but these were the
primary concerns. Also, don't purchase anything less than a 10,000 #
rated unit. The extra cost is worth every penny.

Alan Schultz
53 Jag MK VI
67 Austin-Healey BJ8
88 Ford F250