Re: Racing Sims w/Healeys

To: Randy Hicks <healey100m@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Racing Sims w/Healeys
From: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:20:04 -0600
On 11/15/05, Randy Hicks <healey100m@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Patton, how about posting more info on these games for us
> uninformed enthusiasts? :-)

OK Randy, I'll copy the list with my reply

I am far from an expert, but I will be happy to share what I know.
Racing Sims are built to recreate, as accurately as possible, the
experience of actually driving the cars.   Unlike arcade racers, the
cars you drive attempt to mimic the characteristics of the actual car,
and you are able to modify setups for different driving and handling
characteristics (ie tires, camber, gear sets).

The only racing sim that I own which can race a Healey is Rally Trophy
from JoWooD Productions.  Rally Trophy is a PC based game which
features historic rally cars.    Here is a link to a review of the
game off the Classic Motorsports Magazine forum that explains it
better than I would.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7507&highlight=rally+trophy

The game itself is a few years old, and will run on any computer made
in the past few years.   The best thing is enthusiasts have been able
to make plug-ins to add cars and new courses, so there is a lot of
current development around the platform.   These plug-ins are
available free from many sources.

As far as I can tell, the game is out of print, but is readily
available on eBay, or used on Amazon for less than $20 (although you
may have to get it from the UK).  It can be played with a keyboard,
but I suggest a driving wheel.  I have a Microsoft Force Feedback
wheel that I paid ~$50 for.  I may know where a refurbished Logitech
Wheel can be bought for less than that.

Among these add ins are two Healeys.
Austin Healey 3000 Mk 1 - Realistic works version Of the 1960 Liege
Rome Liege winning Healey driven by Pat Moss and Ann Wisdom.  A member
of the Healey Forum at the British Car Forum helped the designer with
this car.
http://www.no-grip.net/filedisplay.php?filenr=757

Austin Healey Mk3
http://www.no-grip.net/filedisplay.php?filenr=72
As far as GT Legends goes, its a new game, and I can't (legally) get
it as it's not available in the US yet.  It is a side by side racer on
road course.  The way this type of game typically works is you start
out as a novice in an inexpensive car, as you win races you earn money
that can buy a better car with.  They Healey in this game is one of
the cars that you can buy once you have one some races.
I have pondered loading Rally Trophy on my laptop with the Healey add
on, and hosting a Gulf Coast Healey Club meeting using my work's
projector plus my wheel and letting everyone see who can get the best
time in the simulator.  a contest could be an interesting event
addition one of the larger events.

Patton

--
Patton Dickson - '57 A-H 100-Six
Homepage - http://Austin-Healeys.com/

Looking for a vendor, use "The Monster List"
http://www.putzl.com/monster/vendors.html