Re: Ethanol and Healeys

To: N5572B@aol.com, healey.nut@gmail.com, gilrockwell@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Ethanol and Healeys
From: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:57:24 EDT
David is correct.  I used to make MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) and have
competed against Ethanol.  The Corn & Farm Lobbies are VERY powerful
machines.  Especially when they have the "Green" Lobby support.  They won which
is one
of the reasons MTBE is going away.  There is actually a better product than
either Ethanol or MTBE.  It is ETBE but little was done to push for it as it
was a form of combined Ethanol and MTBE.  i.e. Neither group would be a clear
winner.

For those of you who may care, Ethanol is made chiefly from corn.  However it
takes many times the amount of energy to make it versus what it does in the
gasoline and for the atmosphere.  The big thing is that Corn is renewable.
MTBE is made from a chemical process that uses Natural Gas, Oxygen to create
Methanol which is then combined with Isobutlyene. (a refined liquid byproduct
of
Natural Gas).  Both are hard on Rubber and seals.  Ethanol is particularly bad
about water and particulate matter.  It will literally "Clean" your system.
It will also burn a hotter so what your temp gauge.

What makes me the most unhappy is that Ethanol is also highly subsidized by
tax dollars.  Why?  Because it is not competitive to manufacture.  Remember the
earlier statement about the amount of energy it takes to make it?

I realize the last paragraph and perhaps the entire response could be
considered "Political" and it is NOT my desire or intent to see this debated on
the
list.  So please hold the flames.  I just thought there might be a few who
would like to know the background.