Re: OD Concern----revised

To: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: OD Concern----revised
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:35:29 -0700
Wow, you guys go way back, how ancient are you anyway? Anybody remember
the "Columbia" two speed vacuum shifted rear axles in the early Fords?

Very long ago I put a V8 engine in a 1940 Chevy. The transmission was a
1948 Packard with overdrive, had a 1938 floor shift top adapted to it.

As you say, the manual pull knob was used to lock out the OD, otherwise
the transmission would free wheel below OD cut in speeds. The free
wheeling actually provided for clutchless shifting below OD cut in speed
if desired. Manual lockout was used to provide compression braking at
lower speeds if desired.

Kick down from OD to direct (passing gear) was available anytime the
throttle was floored.

Packard, Nash, 50's Fords & a few others had this OD arrangement.

Dave Russell
BN2