RE: Seat Belts, Another Question

To: "'Len and/or Marge'" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Seat Belts, Another Question
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:11:45 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Len and/or Marge
Sent: 03 November 2006 00:15
To: Healeys Mail List
Subject: Seat Belts, Another Question

All of this discussion on seat belts reminds me of a question I have wanted
to ask for a long time but have never gotten around to.  The seat belts in
my '67 BJ8 are normal over-one-shoulder and fastened to the provided
securing points.  What makes them different from any others that I have
seen is that the buckle is secured by a magnet.  One side is metal with the
end curled over (a wide 'J' shape).  The other side has a plastic latch
with magnets embedded in it. Hook the plastic in the 'J' and flip it over.
The magnets hold it closed.  They are a product of Kangol Magnet, Carlisle,
England.

Does anyone else have seat belts like this?  Was this a standard factory
installed seat belt or did a PO install an aftermarket product?

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031

I don't know if it was a factory installed belt. Were there such things?
Mounting points, yes, but the actual belts....I don't know, but I'm neither
a concours man or a BJ8 expert.
Certainly Kangol belts were fitted to dozens of British cars, by
manufacturers and after market. I recall the magnetic catches. I think they
made there way into airliners too.
See http://www.kangol.com/whereandwhen.asp?temp=html if you're still
interested.
My beret in the British army was made by Kangol. I've still got it.
Simon