Re: [Healeys] Dropped the engine - source for manifold-carb studs?

To: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dropped the engine - source for manifold-carb studs?
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:41:45 +0200
Before installing an engine (any car) it is always wise to make up and
fit suitable lifting brackets/eyebolts/L pieces to the block on strong
enough locations, e.g. cilinder head bolts, or on locations where the
are held by at least two smaller bolts, providing that the load on the
bolts is square, not longitutional, e.g. inlet/exhaust manifolds,
waterpump, dynamo brackets etc.
On some engines you can find unused threaded holes fit for the purpose
With a bit of ingenuity one can make up some very neat and unobtrusive
brackets. When the engine is installed, just leave the brackets in
place. You will never be able to find them when you need them next time
if you remove and store them.
Preferably use 3 brackets, one left front, one right front and one at
the rear. That way you can always control the position of the engine.
Some car manufacturers have these brackets installed as a standard
procedure.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL