Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 19:47:01 -0700

--------------D5E5777AEC97239882EC7AA5

I struggled with this quandry for years (partly because I got tired of
having all my work clothes having a circular stain on them).  As noted,
anti-seize is intended for and most useful for threads where grease
would get cooked off, like spark plugs; it's not intended to be a good
lubricant, even though, like most greases, it's oil with a thickener
(moly, lithium, etc.).  I believe even the best splined hubs will have a
teensy bit of ratchet-like movement, and since the hubs don't get all
that hot grease would be the better lubricant.  I usually use wheel
bearing grease, as it's thicker, designed for warm applications and
persistent.

Bob

On 5/10/2020 7:16 PM, Perry via Healeys wrote:

> My understanding is that anti seize was developed for higher
> temperature threaded connections along with a few other things long ago..
>
> If you look at recommendations from manufacturers of splined
> connections, like the slip joint in driveshafts, they say to use grease.

> Windows 10
>
> *Sent: *Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:54 PM
> *Subject: *Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs
>
> Maybe anti seize hadn't been invented when the manual was written.
> Anti seize surely does get onto every surface once you apply it in one
> place.
>
> -Roland
>
> On Sun, May 10, 2020, 6:48 PM Perry via Healeys
>
>     Yes this could turn into an all familiar thread on oils however
>     lets just go back to what every factory service/workshop manual
>     all say about the maintenance or service of the wire wheel
>     splines, â??A little grease should be smeared upon the splines and
>     cone faces of the hub and wheel before refitting.â??
>
>     Perry
>
>     Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
>     for Windows 10
>
>     *Sent: *Sunday, May 10, 2020 7:36 PM
>
>     Perhaps a little tangential to the main thread, and fully aware of
>     the likelihood of me being accused of being pedantic (which never
>     happens on this list J), but regarding what to use on splines to
>     stop the wheel seizing on, I have never understood why the
>     recommendation is always for grease.  Grease is designed to
>     lubricate parts, whereas  the intent of applying it to the splines
>     is to prevent them seizing on, not reduce friction (i.e.,
>     lubricate).  For that reason I have always used an anti-seizing
>     product, my favourite being Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant
>     (they call it a lubricant, but woe betide anyone who actually uses
>     it to lubricate). It should be used very sparingly, and I have
>     never had an issue with a wheel sizing on the splines.  A very
>     fine smear of grease on the outside of the taper on the knock-off
>     I agree is a good thing as the intent there IS to lubricate. Also,
>     providing it is used sparingly, I have never had it seep out of
>     the hub and onto the spokes, avoiding the (in my opinion) terrible
>     practice of smearing sillycone (mis-spell intended) over the spoke
>     heads inside the hub.  Not to say grease does not work, it will,
>     but why not use a product designed for the purpose, and achieve
>     clean spokes at the same time?
>
>     Cheers, Mirek

--------------D5E5777AEC97239882EC7AA5

  <head>
  </head>
    I struggled with this quandry for years (partly because I got tired
    of having all my work clothes having a circular stain on them).  As
    noted, anti-seize is intended for and most useful for threads where
    grease would get cooked off, like spark plugs; it's not intended to
    be a good lubricant, even though, like most greases, it's oil with a
    thickener (moly, lithium, etc.).  I believe even the best splined
    hubs will have a teensy bit of ratchet-like movement, and since the
    hubs don't get all that hot grease would be the better lubricant.  I
    usually use wheel bearing grease, as it's thicker, designed for warm
    applications and persistent.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:20200511022118.8E63BA1620@autox.team.net">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:Wingdings;
        panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Tahoma;
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
          developed for higher temperature threaded connections along
          with a few other things long ago.. </p>
          manufacturers of splined connections, like the slip joint in
          driveshafts, they say to use grease. </p>
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
            moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
          style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid
          #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
            </b><a href="mailto:sentenac.rw@gmail.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Roland Wilhelmy</a><br>
            <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Perry</a><br>
            <b>Cc: </b><a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            when the manual was written.  Anti seize surely does get
            onto every surface once you apply it in one place. </p>
              Healeys &lt;<a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:</p>
            1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
            6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">
                  style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Yes
                  this could turn into an all familiar thread on oils
                  however lets just go back to what every factory
                  service/workshop manual all say about the maintenance
                  or service of the wire wheel splines, â??A little grease
                  should be smeared upon the splines and cone faces of
                  the hub and wheel before refitting.â??</p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Perry</p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> </p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Sent
                  from <a
                    href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for
                  Windows 10</p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> </p>
                  1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;margin-bottom:12.0pt"><b>From:
                    </b><a href="mailto:m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca";
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">Mirek Sharp</a><br>
                    <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">'Perry'</a></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                    lang="EN-CA">Perhaps a little tangential to the main
                    thread, and fully aware of the likelihood of me
                    being accused of being pedantic (which never happens
                    on this list </span><span
                    style="font-family:Wingdings" lang="EN-CA">J</span><span
                    lang="EN-CA">), but regarding what to use on splines
[...]
                    at the same time?</span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                    lang="EN-CA"> </span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                    lang="EN-CA">Cheers, Mirek</span></p>

--------------D5E5777AEC97239882EC7AA5--

--===============2600671088911870825==