Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs

To: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 21:00:59 -0700
Cc: Healeys@autox.team.net

--------------E9E964CE262494E4F4F9A38B

Yeah, I learned the 'put the spinner on the hub trick' eventually, but
sometimes in the heat of battle you forget.  And, yeah, putting the
grease on the wheel hub is the way to go, then take the wheel off and on
a couple times to distribute it (wipe off any excess).

I have a name for the shirts with the circular grease stain: 'rags.'

Bob

On 5/10/2020 8:22 PM, Chris Dimmock wrote:
> Hi Bob,
> Hereâ??s my best 2 pieces of advice.
> 1. Always put the spinner back on the hub as soon as you remove the
> wheel, and youâ??ll avoid circular grease stains on the front of your
> shirt, and
> 2. Clean the splined hub, spinner and the wheel.
> Apply a thin smear of grease to the 4 tapered faces. Apply some grease
> to the internal splined section of the wheel (not to the exposed
> splines on the hub!)
> Then, when you push the wheel back onto the splined hub, any excess
> grease is pushed out to the spinner end, where you can easily wipe it
> off.
> Your Healey will like you, because you wonâ??t have a heap of grease
> dripping down the spokes on the inside of the wheel, and your wife
> will like you, because your shirts stay clean. ð???
> Best
> Chris
>
>> On 11 May 2020, at 12:47 pm, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>  I struggled with this quandry for years (partly because I got tired
>> of having all my work clothes having a circular stain on them).  As
>> noted, anti-seize is intended for and most useful for threads where
>> grease would get cooked off, like spark plugs; it's not intended to
>> be a good lubricant, even though, like most greases, it's oil with a
>> thickener (moly, lithium, etc.).  I believe even the best splined
>> hubs will have a teensy bit of ratchet-like movement, and since the
>> hubs don't get all that hot grease would be the better lubricant.  I
>> usually use wheel bearing grease, as it's thicker, designed for warm
>> applications and persistent.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On 5/10/2020 7:16 PM, Perry via Healeys wrote:
>>>
>>> My understanding is that anti seize was developed for higher
>>> temperature threaded connections along with a few other things long
>>> ago..
>>>
>>> If you look at recommendations from manufacturers of splined
>>> connections, like the slip joint in driveshafts, they say to use
>>> grease.
>>>
>>> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>>> Windows 10
>>>
>>> *Sent: *Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:54 PM
>>> *Subject: *Re: [Healeys] Part III Knock offs
>>>
>>> Maybe anti seize hadn't been invented when the manual was written.
>>> Anti seize surely does get onto every surface once you apply it in
>>> one place.
>>>
>>> -Roland
>>>
>>> On Sun, May 10, 2020, 6:48 PM Perry via Healeys
>>>
>>>     Yes this could turn into an all familiar thread on oils however
>>>     lets just go back to what every factory service/workshop manual
>>>     all say about the maintenance or service of the wire wheel
>>>     splines, â??A little grease should be smeared upon the splines and
>>>     cone faces of the hub and wheel before refitting.â??
>>>
>>>     Perry

--------------E9E964CE262494E4F4F9A38B

  <head>
  </head>
    Yeah, I learned the 'put the spinner on the hub trick' eventually,
    but sometimes in the heat of battle you forget.  And, yeah, putting
    the grease on the wheel hub is the way to go, then take the wheel
    off and on a couple times to distribute it (wipe off any excess).<br>
    I have a name for the shirts with the circular grease stain: 'rags.'<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:0F29DBA5-9C0D-4069-8274-CB7471CD37CA@gmail.com">
        as you remove the wheel, and youâ??ll avoid circular grease stains
        on the front of your shirt, and</div>
        faces. Apply some grease to the internal splined section of the
        wheel (not to the exposed splines on the hub!)</div>
        hub, any excess grease is pushed out to the spinner end, where
        you can easily wipe it off. </div>
        heap of grease dripping down the spokes on the inside of the
        wheel, and your wife will like you, because your shirts stay
        clean. ð???</div>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>&lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
            charset=UTF-8">
          I struggled with this quandry for years (partly because I got
          tired of having all my work clothes having a circular stain on
          them).  As noted, anti-seize is intended for and most useful
          for threads where grease would get cooked off, like spark
          plugs; it's not intended to be a good lubricant, even though,
          like most greases, it's oil with a thickener (moly, lithium,
          etc.).  I believe even the best splined hubs will have a
          teensy bit of ratchet-like movement, and since the hubs don't
          get all that hot grease would be the better lubricant.  I
          usually use wheel bearing grease, as it's thicker, designed
          for warm applications and persistent.<br>
          Bob<br>
            Healeys wrote:<br>
            cite="mid:20200511022118.8E63BA1620@autox.team.net">
              charset=UTF-8">
              medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:Wingdings;
        panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Tahoma;
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
                was developed for higher temperature threaded
                connections along with a few other things long ago.. </p>
                manufacturers of splined connections, like the slip
                joint in driveshafts, they say to use grease. </p>
                  href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
                  moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
                style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid
                #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
                  </b><a href="mailto:sentenac.rw@gmail.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">Roland Wilhelmy</a><br>
                  <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">Perry</a><br>
                  <b>Cc: </b><a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                  invented when the manual was written.  Anti seize
                  surely does get onto every surface once you apply it
                  in one place. </p>
                    Perry via Healeys &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                      moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:</p>
                  1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in
                  6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Yes
                        this could turn into an all familiar thread on
                        oils however lets just go back to what every
                        factory service/workshop manual all say about
                        the maintenance or service of the wire wheel
                        splines, â??A little grease should be smeared upon
                        the splines and cone faces of the hub and wheel
                        before refitting.â??</p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Perry</p>

--===============5383805623893819252==