Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 10:34:56 -0500
At Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:27:30 GMT, "A.D.Smith" writes:
> On the subject of packing for extended touring, I wonder if any
> midget owners can offer helpful suggestions.  We've been on two week
> camping trips in my midget - two people, camping gear, drinks, food,
> tools etc.

This is a very interesting topic for me, as my fiancee and I plan to head to
the Southwest (New Mexico perhaps) for a 9-day mostly-camping vacation in my
'70 Midget this Spring.

> Usually we chuck the spare wheel on the luggage rack to free up boot
> space. Has anyone any neater / more secure method of attatching the
> spare to the outside of the car somehow - I know I've asked this
> before.

...and I may have responded before.  My idea (I have wires) is to bolt a
splined hub to the bootlid and use a swingaway luggage rack to get to it and
still put luggage on the rack.  I'd try it if I had a spare bootlid to mangle.
Someone on this list said they had done this with disc wheels successfully.

> I've also made up vinyl covered hardboard pieces that fit behind the
> chassis rails in the side of the boot to partition off those little
> areas along the very sides of the boot.  That way I can stuff those
> areas full of tools / oil / anti-freeze / haynes manuals / spares;
> and hold it all in with the hardboard panels.  That means that the
> whole central boot area between the chassis rails is free.

This is a good idea.  Would help keep the icky tools and fluids away from the
clothes, etc.

> Maybe also the panel behind the seats could be changed so that it
> bows inwards into the car instead of being flat - so making the boot
> slightly bigger ?

That panel irks me.  Mine is just vinyl covered cardboard and the PO put a
speaker on it and it sags and pulls horribly.  I want to replace it with wood
of some kind before this trip (for better sealing and for strength).

More ideas welcome...