Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets

To: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Packing for extended touring - Midgets
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:08:23 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, A.D.Smith wrote:

> Many ideas there, the one closest to my own came from Matt Liggett
> <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu> who suggests bolting a wire wheel
> hub to the boot lid and putting a rack over the top so you can still
> use the rack.  I think the rack would be so high in that case that I'd
> never be able to see out the back.
>
> The hub-on-bootlid idea is one that I've been mulling over for a while,
> but not having a spare bootlid to mangle stopped me trying it.  I asked
> a guy in Moss about it once and he told me that the bootlid wouldn't
> take the weight.

> Now if I can just find a way to fix the wheel to the boot and carry a
> bike or two at the same time I can go offroad biking in Scotland this winter.

There used to be a thing called (in the US) a continental kit.
Basically, you'd extend the bumper brackets 8 inches or so, and nestle
the wheel between the bumper and the body in the position it had on a T
series MG.  I think it would look pretty nice on a Spridget.  At least it
would be practical, and you could still have a boot-mounted luggage
rack.  The bikes might be OTT, however.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910