Re: Windshield scratches

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com, jfischer@supercollider.com
Subject: Re: Windshield scratches
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:14:29 -0500
- -snip- -
>     I bought such a kit to repair a classic "bullet-hole" in the
>     windshield of my Volvo, caused by a small high-velocity pebble.

- -snip- -

>         3)  They address the problem of defects in the windshield
>             where there is a "hole", or "crater".  They claim
>             that they will NOT be of any help with a "crack".
>             If the crack is shorter than the suction-cup base
>             of the applicator, I might be tempted to give it
>             a try, since the ante for the bet is low.

- -snip- -

I used the aforementioned kit (syringe with suction cup type) to repair
a bullet hole caused by a stone in my '80 Cutlass windshield. There
were two cracks that extended about 0.5" beyond the outside diameter of
the suction cup. The kit did an excellent job repairing the bullet hole
and the portion of the cracks under the suction cup. I did, however,
still have to 0.5" long cracks that now appeared to be there for no
reason. The cracks did not grow for the remaining 50,000 miles (2.5
years).

Since the car had 130K on it at the time, looking back I should hve
pushed on the cracks until they were too big to repair and had the
insurance co replace it with one that I could see out of when the sun
hit it.

>                     I Live In The Garden Of Weed'n

Don't let the DEA find you.

- -Mark    = =o&o