Re: Windshield scratches

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield scratches
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 14:45:24 PST
john peloquin asked:

> >   It's not a very complicated kit, it's just some glass polishing compound
> > (in powder form, just add water) and a buffing disk that attaches to your
> > electric drill, thats it.  You could probably just buy glass polishing
> > compound and a polishing disk seperately and not pay as much.
>
> Do you know what grit it was? I have access to 400 and 800 grit- is that
> fine enough?
>
> >  But be aware
> > that polishing compound of any type isn't going to take out even moderately
> > deep scratches, just the very slight ones.
> >
> >                                     Jeremy DuBois

I don't know what grit it is, but I've always used toothpaste.

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried having a crack in their
windshield repaired?  There are companies that claim that they've got some
stuff that actually bonds the glass together invisibly.  My restoration
project has what looks like a brand new windshield that has a crack down
the middle.  It would be nice to not have to wrestle a new ($200!)
windshield into the frame.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com