RE: Installing alarm and actuators

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Installing alarm and actuators
From: "Wil Boucher" <william@greenmgb.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:14:08 -0800
My opinion differs here, I have just recently (about a month ago) put an
alarm in my B Roadster, and JUST LAST NIGHT, it prevented my stereo from
being stolen. Some one opened the door, and triggered the alarm, when I went
to check it out, the door was wide open, no one in site, and the contents of
the car un-changed.

I also don't agree that an FM radio is all you need :-)

Where I am there is no station that plays the sort of music that I enjoy, so
there is no need for me to even have a radio, and I think that many of us
will agree that with the right tunes playing, any touring/cruising
experience in any vehicle is enhanced :-)

Good speakers, in the right places, with an adequate stereo, even with the
top down on the highway, the tunage comes through clearly for your listening
pleasure.

I have $500 in stereo gear installed, so in that one instance last night my
alarm SAVED me $300 to spend at another time on the car.

I only spent $200 Canadian on a Clifford Cyber100 (not recommending, just
the one I chose) with a 'proximity' detector. Just for having it in the car
I get a 10% saving on my insurance, so amortize it and it pays for itself
anyway.

I added door switches (my car was without) used heavy duty door switches on
the bonnet and boot, the alarm has a vibration trigger (which I adjusted way
down on the sensitive scale, because we all hate those people whose car
alarms go off just because you drive by...) The alarm also has a starter
'immobilizer' built in to prevent the starter being used if the alarm is
triggered or tampered with...

I leave my doors unlocked because there is really no point locking them on
the roadster, if the top is up, it will be slashed, if the top is down, they
will be unlocked.

The proximity detector was the hard part, took a lot of time to adjust the
'zone' so that it only triggers if the cabin in penetrated (someone sticks
an arm in or something...)

For me anyway (and time will tell for sure) I think an alarm is a GOOD idea,
if adjusted properly, and used right.

If there is anyway I can help Morten, let me know.

Cheers

Wil
1969 MGB Roadster