Re: Installing alarm and actuators

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Installing alarm and actuators
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:00:27 -0600
Max Heim wrote:

> Hmm, I might rethink the remote actuator part... I'd be dubious about adding
> heavy servos and electronics to the doors of a roadster (for reliability
> reasons). Besides, if you have an alarm, why are you concerned about someone
> jimmying the door locks? Not that they even have to unlock the doors, they
> can just cut through the top (expensive and annoying -- most people would
> prefer they went through the doors).
>
> But I am on record with my opinion on the utility and efficacy of alarm
> systems, so I will merely note that in many cases these installations seem
> to be simply manifestations of a fascination with electronic gadgets in
> general...

I prefer the relatively cheap remote-pager alarms from such as Radio
Shack. I still have one I bought in 1979 and installed on a VW
Camper-Van. It still works perfectly. I'm planning to mount it on
either the Cooper S or the Victor. It sends a radio signal that sets
off a belt-mounted receiver unit like a pager. Since the criminal
doesn't know there's an alarm, it gives you a chance to choose how
to deal with the break-in (here in Oklahoma, a legally-carried
handgun provides a nice response method).

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm