Re: Installing alarm and actuators

To: "Morten Agnor" <jagsterr@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installing alarm and actuators
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:08:54 -0000
You can't put ultrasonics in a roadster as any flapping of the hood, or wind
blowing in round the edges, will set it off.  You can use a microwave
detector though, even with the hood down.  I have a dual-zone unit that
emits a warning beep if anyone hangs around too close for too long, which
also sets off the whole son et lumiere if they should still choose to get
inside.  After having had my GT broken into twice in five days I wanted to
warn them off *before* they broke in, rather than kicking up a fuss after
they had done the damage.  In practice, once they have bothered to break in
they will almost certainly continue with what they wanted to do.  The
control unit also comes with ultrasonics, doors and bonnet hood switches,
voltage sensing and shock sensing.

Imobilisation usually consists of the fuel pump circuit, which with SUs is
quite good as if they start it they will only get a couple of hundred yards,
which might well put them in public view.

Subsequently I added central locking controlled from the alarm 'plipper'.
You have to have an alarm unit capable of controlling the actuators or
install a second control unit and carry around two 'plippers'.