RE: Vacuum Advance Part

To: "'Zach Dorsch'" <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>, MG LIST
Subject: RE: Vacuum Advance Part
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:19:00 -0700
Zach:

What a can of worms...

Thanks to Paul Tegler there is a reference for the 41234 Distributor at
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/advance_curves.htm

Paul shows that distributor as needing a ported vacuum source, not the
manifold only vacuum source available on your manifold/carb combination.
So, you are going to have difficulties getting the engine into correct tune
even with a brand new vacuum unit.  This makes sense as the unit was
probably fitted to UK spec cars which continued to have a ported vacuum tap
since efficiency was important, rather than emmissions.

If this information is correct, there is no problem running the engine with
the vacuum unit disconnected.  You will have to advance the timing at idle
from the settings used with the Federal spec distributor to those used on
the earlier and UK car.  About 14 degrees BTDC at idle should be a good
starting point.  The only draw back is going to be lowered part throttle
efficiency, which is what the ported type vacuum advance unit is there for.

I'm still trying to figure out a suitable replacement distributor for the
later US manifold tapped carb setups.  Unfortunately this area of
engineering appears to be in the realm of large monsters and dragons.

Kelvin.