Re: Fw: It's a start

To: riwidman@buckeye-express.com
Subject: Re: Fw: It's a start
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:10:48 -0400
Randy,
  You can set up an ignition w/o the vacuum advance; it was done for
years.  The vac advance is an additional advance to the centrifugal
advance, that will advance spark a bit during low-load times, as when
cruising at steady speed, as the engine can benefit from additional
advance then.  When manifold vacuum drops during accelleration or hill
climbing, the advance returns to where the centrifugal advance has put
it, for greater power and less liklihood of knocking.
Notice how the tune-up instructions always direct to disconnect and plug
vac lines before setting timing with a timing light?  That's to take the
vacuum advance out of the test, so just the centrifugal advance is set at
that time.
Bob