Re: [oletrucks] Here's an easy one: Which Oil Filter?

To: "Jay Duncanson" <jay@duncanson.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Here's an easy one: Which Oil Filter?
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:24:52 -0400
Jay,

This type of oil "filtration" is unlike todays full-pressure systems, where
oil is filtered before continuing on to the bearings. It may have been of
some use in the days of non-detergent oil, but the pressure lost by passing
the oil through that canister, with or without an element, isn't worth the
tradeoff.

Also, the pleated paper element used in this kind of bypass system isn't
going to be very effective. It does nothing to remove contaminants, the main
reason frequent changes are needed. Modern oil, with additives to offset
contamination, is pretty effective at this, but only if changed regularly.

Many owners continue to run the bypass systems for peace of mind, or that
"vintage" look,  but in your case -  where the correct element is going to
be hard to find, or you
may be considering changing to the correct canister - you would be better
off just disconnecting the whole mess and replacing it all with a couple of
pipe plugs.

Jack / Winter Park FL