Re: [oletrucks] Broken Door Hinge Bolt

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Broken Door Hinge Bolt
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:44:52 -0700
Hi Ross,
I just recently removed the drivers side door on our AD and I went very
gingerly with lots of WD40, and eventually got all 6 out, but it sure feels
bad when they tighten up.

I don't know if this will work in this location but it requires heat and may
not be advisable if the truck is finish painted.

I learned from one of the engine re-builders here in town how they remove
broken studs from exhaust manifolds. They heat it up with a torch, then let
it cool completely, then heat it again and hold a bar of paraffin canning wax
on it and let it seep around the threads. Once cool it's usually quite easy
to remove the broken stud. You may have to saw a slot for a screw driver
in the head, or as a last choice an easy-out. The worst case is a broken
off easy-out in the end.

>When I was removing the driver side door one of the bolts on the bottom
>hinge snapped off. I used WD40 on it but, ho well you know how it goes.
>I was wondering what is the best way to get the broken bolt out, without
>damaging the door hinge mounting hole. The bolt has about 1/8" sticking
>out from the jamb, not enough to get a pair of vice grips on it. Anyone
>have a good trick they could offer on how to get it out.
>thxs

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com

rfischer@worldnet.att.net