Re: [oletrucks] Broken Door Hinge Bolt

To: Ross Piercey <ross-piercey@home.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Broken Door Hinge Bolt
From: jls <jls@sessio.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
I had a similar experience with one bolt on each of the dors on my '54.
I used a number of techniques and was able to get one out clean.  The
other I had to drill and retap.  I used heat from a blow torch and an ice
cube combined with grinding a slot in the top for a flat screwdriver, an
easy-out, vice grips.  If I had to do it again I would try one more
technique, I would weld something to the bolt that I could get ahold of.

Hope this helps

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Ross Piercey wrote:

> When I was removing the driver side door one of the bolts on the bottom
> hinge snapped off. I used WD40 on it but, ho well you know how it goes.
> I was wondering what is the best way to get the broken bolt out, without
> damaging the door hinge mounting hole. The bolt has about 1/8" sticking
> out from the jamb, not enough to get a pair of vice grips on it. Anyone
> have a good trick they could offer on how to get it out.
> thxs
>
> Ross
> 51 Chevy 3/4 LB 5W

Thanks,