Re: [oletrucks] 49 truck, new brake system :o]

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 49 truck, new brake system :o]
From: "Norm" <dahorse@jvlnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 11:47:02 -0600
Friends!

Ok I have some plans that my wife and I have been running through our heads
regarding the direction we want to take with our new project! Although I
have another project takeing priority at the moment.....I would like to
begin collecting some parts......since you dudes are the masters of this
subject we figured we will ask you all first what I need to accomplish our
goals!

What we have!
Looks like a 48-49 Chevy cab....on a 51 3/4 ton frame and running gear!

All sheetmetal is in great shape as is the frame and according to the
paperwork....it looks like the engine is fresh as well....

Being a 3/4ton, the thing will be geared quite low I assume....and I
truthfully, I really want a 4spd....it is a 3 on the tree now! I assume that
the swap from 3spd to 4spd is just a matter of aquiring the parts from the
parts truck I also aquired? If So....then I will probably use some rear
gears in the 4.10 range...or maybe 3.73 in the original diff.....and that
should keep the revs tolerable on the street! And with the 4spd the higher
gears should be ok elsewhere with that granny gear ready when the reduction
is needed! I also think I have a Detroit no-spin locker for that rear,
laying around here someplace....may even install that! (I plan on using this
truck in a truck fashion) While still considering it a toy and pampering it
as much as possible...but a show truck it will not be! But I want it as
original appearing as I can afford it to be....so my only real concern is
the brakes! Are they adequate for daily road use?....I know they were in the
50's.....but how about now?
If i had to stray from original to update the brakes I will....so then
saying that....is there a "bolt on " way of converting the original front
axle to disks?.....if so whats the trick?.....And finally the last big
question.....where would I find a nice rustfree box?.....I have
fenders.......just need the box!
Thanks in advance

Norm