Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>, <Passnb4U@aol.com>, <jforbes@primenet.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1980 10:50:31 -0500
Grant,

I can give you my reasons on this.

Modern is not always better. I like to pick and choose which modern item I
feel are assets without taking the ones I feel are detriments to what I am
trying to achive.

I added disc brakes to my straight axle. Why not IFS? I wanted to keep the 1
ton capacity for hauling and towing, and ride is of secondary importance. To
me modern disc brakes were an asset, but modern suspension was not.

I rebuilt a 235 to go in my '49. The full pressure oiling system was an
asset. Why not go with a modern 250? I feel that the 235 is a superior
engine for pulling power. Modern gas engines are made to rev faster by
having a shorter stroke with a larger bore, thats great if your concern is
quick take off. The 235 was made for low end torque which was what I wanted.

I will be converting to HEI when I can. My points disributor is worn out and
I have never been impressed with bebuilt ones. I don't feel that the HEI is
a big advantage to a slow reving 235 but it is the easiest solution to my
problem.

I would love to find a turbocharged Buick 231 in a junkyard. I would put
that on my 235. A turbocharger is not effective at low rpms where a 235
doesn't need it, but would give a boost at highway speed where the 235's
torque drops. It would be a good addition for what I want to achive.

To me a blend of old and new depends on what your goals are. I seriously
considered putting a Cummins turbo-diesel in my '49. I measured one, it
would tightly fit. I didn't because the salvage yards are VERY proud of
those engines and it would have taken a LOT of fabrication. Not an
economical solution.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck