Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)

To: gls@4link.net, jforbes@primenet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 02:39:45 EST
In a message dated 1/29/00 11:18:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, gls@4link.net
writes:

> I don't get it.  If you want to go modern, why not go all the way?  Isn't
>  putting EFI or HEI on a 235 like adding an ISDN modem to an Apple II
>  computer?  Don't you just end up with something which is neither
>  technologically superior, as a complete modern engine might be, nor
>  aesthetically cohesive?  Kind of an odd ball mix and match?
>
>  Not that I'm criticizing.  Just want to understand.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Grant S. gls@4link.net

  Let me try to explain.....

  Do you still run bias ply tires?  Do you still use non-detergent oil?  If I
had a direct bolt on replacement paper type air filter, would you still use
the oil bath one?

  EFI and HEI are elements of two of the most important aspects of an IC
engine, fuel and spark.

  If you can tailor the fuel and spark in a superior fashion, wouldn't it be
to your advantage to do so?  EFI offers superior fuel metering at all
altitudes and temperatures, HEI offers a more precise spark control that
points have ever dreamed of.  The dwell on an HEI module is not affected by a
worn distributor lobe, dust pitting n the contact points, and much more
receptive to work under more adverse conditions, even extreme temps it's
reliable, but probably not as reliable as a mechanical device (points) could
be, but I can attest to the fact of running HEI in a '78 Camaro in Phoenix
for 6 years, with no problems with the temp's.

  Hotrodding and modifying have cme a long way over the past 15 years, heck,
25 years ago the only fuel injections I recall were the Hilborn type.

  When was the last time you HAD to change plugs on an HEI motor?  If you
take a drive up in elevation, does your EFI car/truck run richer?  No, it's
automatically adjusted and monitored.

  Sure, I could continue to putt around as it was built 40+ years ago,
blowing out excess fuel, getting 14 MPG, but why not clean it up some, make
it more reliable, squeeze out another 3-5 MPGs and make more power to boot?

  I'm not saying everyone should ax thier Rochesters and run out and get an
EFI setup, or toss there points right now and go HEI, but technology can be
your friend.

  As I've mentioned before, I'd drop in the small block I have for my '59,
but the damned 6 runs too good to pull, might as well have a little fun with
it while it's around, no way I'll spend the $$ to rebuild it when she goes,
but I might as well spend a little on it and have some fun.

  Mike