Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)
From: ADvent@thuntek.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:23:09 -0700
Well, you do have a point, but the 235 was light years ahead in design for
its time. The Toyota Land Cruiser still uses a copy cat motor in it for non
USA vehicles. The engine is not a power house, but responds well to modern
toys. TBI would be the easiest to setup, you could make your own adapter
plate for the throttle body. Slap the computer under the dash, plug the draft
tube and install a PCV valve, throw in an HEI or a distriutorless ignition
system along with a 12 volt system and you have an even more reliable truck.
As for the modules going out, they will last almost forever if you use the
dielectric grease under it during installation. Modules fail mostly, because
some schmuch didn't add the grease. The module MUST contact the dist.. base
100% or it will soon go south. My 235 in my 51 two ton starts up when its
close to 0ºF outdoors, but barely and its a stock motor from a newer truck.
If it were "modernized", I am sure it would start much easier.
New Mexico Jim