Re: [oletrucks] FYI

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] FYI
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:01:46 -0800
Hi Deve,

>I just hated the idea that everyone I talked to seem to have about using a
paintbrush to paint it on. I cant
>imagine the quality I want out of a paintbrush especially on the valve
cover
>and other smooth surfaces.

You know, a paint brush is fine for the cast iron pieces like block, head
and waterpump.  You can't see any brush marks because the surface is rough.
I think you actually get better coverage when you brush these parts because
you can push the paint into all the little crevices.  Just use a bright
light and go over it a few times to check for holidays.  You also don't
waste paint with a brush.

You're right about the valve cover and oil pan.  You need to spray these.
You really should use your spray gun.  You'll get a better finish than with
a spray can, although the cans will be perfectly adequate.

If you look closely at the valve cover, you'll see that the metal has many
imperfections, waves, dents, lines, etc.  Knowing you to be a perfectionist,
I would expect you'll want to take this opportunity to learn the judicious
use of plastic body filler otherwise known as Bondo, and sandable primer.
This is a perfect piece to practice on because it is so small that you can
bead blast it down to metal again if you screw up.

Once you get the underlying surfaces sanded straight and smooth, you can
spray the top color.  If you learn the technique on the valve cover and oil
pan, you can do the same thing with a hood or a fender.

Pretty soon we'll all be ashamed of ourselves for sitting around watching
while you built a show truck.

Regards,

Grant S.