Re: [oletrucks] painted, but another ?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] painted, but another ?
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 14:46:02 -0400
The texture you see is refered to as orange peel. If you use enamel paint,
most likely you're gonna get some degree of it. What little painting i've
done, i've thinned the painted more and shot thinner coats. If the paint is
layed on thick there's pretty much no way around it. IF you want to get rid
of it and get a real smooth finish-you;ll have to wet sand with real fine
sandpaper and buff back up to the shine. Now keep in mind, i'm no paint
guy--this is just from my backyard experience.....  Most shops after enamel
painting do this process of "buffing it out" to minimize the orange peel...
  wayne

>I finally put some paint on my 59 this weekend.  It is not exactly as I
>hoped, but I can do it again easy enough.  Here is the situation:  The
>paint is very uniform, very even.  The problem is that it has almost a
>"hammered" finish, or like a matte style photo.  I do not know why.  I
>adjusted the gun's air flow and spray, but no change.  Do I need to thin
>the paint?  Or what?  If it wasn't on a vehicle I'd say it looks pretty
>cool.  It looks like I was just going for a textured finish or something.
>
>Ok, besides that I was wondering what prep is needed on the first coat to
>paint over it?  I planned on sanding it, but is that it?  Wet sand, etc?
>
>Thanks alot!
>
>BTW I guess I have been with this list near the beginning but I did not
>know it.  I think it was 95?  or 96?  It has been a big help.
>
>David "Tex" Carr
>1959 Chevy Shortbed Stepside
>Canyon, Texas (near Amarillo)
>
>Free email with personality! Over 200 domains!
>http://www.MyOwnEmail.com

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup
LaGrange Ga.