Re: [oletrucks] GMC starter upgrade

To: "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC starter upgrade
From: Gordon Groves <ggroves100@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:18:24 -0700
I did just this not long ago , my foot start starter crapped out and I
needed to get back on the road fast (daily driver) My 235 is from a '56
and has the fine tooth ring gear so I couldn't just drop in another foot
starter but my friend had a working solenoid unit so I added a heavy
duty "Intermittent on " switch.

Basically I just ran a wire of the proper gauge from the lug on the
ignition switch that gets hot when you turn the key to the intermittent
on switch and from the other side of the intermittent on switch to the
solenoid.

On the solenoid itself there are three lugs one being a larger one for
the battery cable and two smaller ones , one for the wire from the
intermittent on switch and the other one can be used to supply a
temporary 12v to the coil for easier starting , I left this off mine
because I didn't know about until I learned it right here on ole trucks
! or was it the old IHC board ? My truck starts fine and its still off
so I guess its an option.I later added a later style ignition switch
from of all places Ace hardware! $23.00 bucks and super heavy duty and
fits like the original . My original one started to go bad and the truck
would turn itself of when it hit a bump , once again I needed to fix
this fast hence the trip to ace , but Im happy with how it turned out
all in all.

Hope this was straight forward enough and opinion free ! (sarcasm)

P.S. there mite be an issue with the ring gear teeth to consider when
switching starters , I had to cobble together a foot starter and a later
bendix from a solenoid unit because I have the later fine tooth ring
gear on my flywheel you mite have the reverse problem going the other
way or there mite be a solenoid starter with the right bendix for your
ring gear , that I DON'T know  Good luck

Gordon Groves
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 IHC Travelall