Re: [oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab
From: Wallace R Teto <katana2k@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:11:04 -0400
Gordon, if you have access to a welder, then yes I would box the frame.
You might not have to do the whole length, but I would at least do it in
several sections to help stiffen things up a bit.  I did the front area
because the maker of the IFS that I installed had recommended doing so.
I also did a section in the rear, since I was re-designing it to fit the
leaf spring mounts for my Chevy rear end installation.  Before
re-mounting the cab, I plan to do some boxing in the middle as well.  It
can't hurt and I think you will feel a bit more secure in knowing the
frame is not going to flex under acceleration and braking.  If you do a
few sections with open spaces between the boxing plates, it will still
allow easy access to run things like brake and electrical lines inside
the protective area of the tube.  Personally, I don't think you can
stiffen the frame rails too much.  Having the proper suspension for ride
quality is one thing, but you will be much happier and things will be
less likely to break or go out of alignment if the frame is a bit beefier
than the original design.  Even though you aren't planning on super high
performance engine, the small block V-8 and tranny combination still has
the ability to twist a stock frame that wasn't designed for this
application.

Also I removed all the glass as well, even the corner windows.  I know it
probably is a pain to replace, but you surely will want to use new rubber
seals in all locations, and glass removal is the best way to insure there
is no rust underneath the current rubber.  I did just cut the rubber out
with a sharp utility knife on one side, removing the glass, then cutting
out the remaining rubber, it was pretty easy.  I plan to replace all the
glass as well.  Don't know if that's in your plans, but you will probably
want to do that to the windshield at least.  You will be surprised at how
much nicer a new windshield is versus your old one!

I don't know about the cab weight, I lifted mine with a one ton chainfall
attached to the rafter in my garage, but I had to doors attached and all
the glass in when I did it.

Good luck, keep us posted on progress.  Mine is going slow due to broken
collarbone and dislocated thumb that will require surgery to fix.  :-(

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100 rod project