Re: [oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab
From: Tom <tfvjr@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:50:10 -0400
Hi, Grant
Were you not concerned that the weight of the cab on the top of the door frames
would tweak something like the hinges or the door frames out of alignment? I am
about to lift my '55-2nd series cab from it's frame, and I am uncertain at this
point as to the BEST method. The only things left in it are the doors and the
glass. My cab has rotted out front cab mounts, and the rear cab mounts have
stress cracks in the surrounding floor sections from the cab 'rocking' back on
acceleration, so twisting of the remaining sheetmetal upon liftoff from the
frame seems like a potential problem for me... These are the options I am
considering:

                        1) Use two 2x6's through the windows (rope may be
good...) and 4 guys to lift and carry the cab to a jig, set up like the frame
rails on a dolly. (It may have to sit on it all winter!) Cost: $20.00 for
lumber, $20.00 for beer (every time I need help to move it!).

                        2) Buy a folding engine hoist for $200.00, and move the
cab whenever I want!!! (priceless!!!)

Looks like a simple choice, once it's in writing! What do you guys think? Will
the cab twist? Is rope good enough? Is $20.00 worth of beer divided by 4 too
cheap? Help me out!

Tom Volpe
'55-2
Monroe, Ct.