Re: [oletrucks] Generator Squeal?

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Generator Squeal?
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:28:30 -0600 (CST)
The generator squeal is probably a slipping fan belt.  The question is why
the belt is slipping?  The high charge rate indicates one of three things:

1.  You have a short in the wiring between the ammeter and the battery.
Does the battery go dead if it is left for a while?

2.  You have a battery problem.  Check if it is putting out roughly six
volts with the key off.  Usually, if the battery is bad, it shorts out and
goes dead.  Stranger things have happened, though.

3.  Your voltage regulator is bad.  There is a diagnostic procedure in the
manual for this. My truck is a 12 volt system.  I don't know the numbers
for 6 volt systems.  This takes a voltmeter.  The $10.00 one from Radio
Shack works just fine.

If I had to guess, I would guess that one of the three relays in the
voltage regulator is hung up or one of the tension springs is broken or
heat damaged in the regulator.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN