Re: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question

To: wayne@chevytrucks.org
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question
From: john j tonyes <flfox1@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:47:54 -0400
Wayne:
Not sure if I have ever posted this before or not.  I had a mechanic
(back in the 50's) show me how to bleed the brakes on these old trucks,
by yourself.
l.Overhaul Master Cyl and/or Wheel Cyl.
2.Fill Master Cyl with fluid
3.Leave cap off Master Cyl
4.Pump brake pedal real slow as to not have the fluid come out of top of
cyl
5.When there are no more bubbles coming out of the cyl, when you let off
brake pedal, refill and put top on.
6BE SURE AND KEEP CYL FULL OF FLUID AT ALL TIME.
7.  If the Master Cyl and Wheel Cyl. are working properly, GUARANTEE IT
WILL WORK.
I have done this many and many of times.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:58:27 -0400 Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
writes:
> If a new master cylinder was put and if it is not bench bled first,
> it'll
> take forever to bleed the entire system. Always bleed the system
> starting
> at the farthest wheel cylinder first--do the right rear first, then
> left
> rear, right front, then left front.  I just went through my brake
> system
> and man what a difference all new parts makes. --wayne
>

> At 09:11 AM 4/26/02 -0400, Jhouse wrote:
> >Lon,
> >I have rebuilt my own brakes (MC and all WC) and have had EXACTLY
> the same
> >spit up problem.  You are pushing down on the break pedal way to
> hard. It is
> >a very very very soft push down and with luck this will then let
> bubbles up
> >from the MC.  Keep the cap off and keep the reserve almost FULL.
> It took me
> >some time to get the air out of the MC but once it was out it all
> seems to
> >work.  Is the truck on a VERY LEVEL SURFACE - it should be.
> However if I do
> >not drive the truck for a week or so I need to pump up the break to
> get
> >pressure back into the system.  I never asked the list if this was
> an issue.
> >
> >NHJim

John Tonyes, 8460 Tom Costine, Lakeland, Fl. 33809, 863 859 0878
USS TELFAIR APA 210, COORDINATOR
SEE YOU IN: ORLANDO, FLORIDA  flfox1@juno.com
OCT. 4,5 & 6, 2002   SMOOTH SAILING