RE: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 1950 1/2 ton brakes question
From: josiah.bartlett@exgate.tek.com
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:39:12 -0700
Did you adjust the shoes before you bled the system? If the shoes are too
far from the drum it will do that. Also check the free travel of the pedal.
I just ran into the same problem when I rebuilt all the cylinders and put
new lines in all the way around. A combo of shoes not adjusted and mc
pushrod too loose made my pedal hit the floor when I tried to bleed. After
adjusting everything properly it worked fine.
-Josiah
1950 1/2 ton

I worked on my brakes yesterday and could not get them to hold pressure.  I
would pump the brake and get good peddle, then I would let off for 2 or 3
seconds and it would go right to the floor.  We bled all the lines and they
seem fine. My question is this; when I remove the fill cap on the master
cylinder and push the peddle down, fluid comes shooting up from the
cylinder
into the reservoir.  Is this normal or do I have a bad master cylinder?
Did
I not bleed it right or am I missing a trick that only ole' time truckers
know?  Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Lon