Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF V8 conversion
From: "Mike Boteler" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:40:10 -0500
Hey Devin,

If I understand correctly you have a 6 cylinder with side mounts and I
assume a transmission mount at the rear.  This set-up has been added, side
mounts didn't come out until 1958 for cars and later for trucks (1963?).  Do
you still have the original transmission cross member in place?  If so, I
believe I would mount your new SB the same way it was mounted when new, that
way all of the angles are correct and everything fits right.  The front
motor mount bracket/mounts are available repro and bolt into the factory
holes.  Then you need to find a V8 truck bell housing (it has 1 large bolt
on each side, where the car was 2 small bolts).  Also the input shaft hole
in the truck bell housing is larger. The bell housing, flywheel and starter
all need to match (not a big deal).  All bell housings will bolt to all
SB's, Chevrolet kept it simple....I don't think the '66 bell housing will
work, as it won't have side mounts.

We did this exact set-up (I6 to V8) with my sons '56.

Regards,

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Stake
'56 6400 Stake