Re: Half Shaft U Joints?

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Half Shaft U Joints?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 20:57:47 -0400
At 06:05 PM 5/19/98 -0400, Tom Shirley wrote:
>Hi Spitters,
>
>I think I already know the answer to this one. My 78 has a click, clunk
>???, whatever sound coming from the left rear end of the car. Only does
>it on deceleration and does it much louder it left hand turns. I think
>it's the half shaft u joints that need replacing. At least the left one
>anyway. But if I'm going to replace one, I'll do them all, including the
>drive shaft. What do you folks think? Am I right, or..........?
>--
I think Andy Mace summed it up when he said,
"Replace ALL the u-joints if they have been installed for any length of
time...say, for 45 minutes or more."

And I recommend using Spicer brand non-greasable joints.  They are good
quality, and eliminate one maintenance function.  That leaves more time for
driving!

MHO.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the local speed limits?"