Re: Half Shaft U Joints?

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Subject: Re: Half Shaft U Joints?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:12:12 -0700
Yep, sounds about right.  When they go it will usually be apparent during
cornering because you unload one side and that's when you hear it.  Don't
be surprised if you here them click not long after you replace them.  It
used to be that when you replaced the U-joints, especially in the axle
shafts, you needed to shim the end play with suitable thickness circlips.
These are no longer available and now are just supplied with only one size.
 Consequently, if there is any end play (side clearance), then the joints
will, when they get a little loose after installation, click back and forth
in their bores (been there done that).  This isn't something that I've made
up, although it may sound like it.  The shimming procedure is outlined in
the service manual.  What I did was make up some shims out of all things, a
soda can.  I needed the thickness that these worked out to be (around 6
thou. total).  No more clicking! Good luck!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire