Re[2]: Spit safety question...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Spit safety question...
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:00:01 +0100

This is the sort of question where everyone can, and will, have their own
opinion.  My thoughts are as follows:

If a child is properly secured in a seat designed for the size / weight of that
child, and that seat is in turn attached according to the manufacturers
instructions, then the child will probably safer than an adult held in only by
the standard 3 point belt.

You mention in your sig that the Spit is a '80 model so this will have the
ratchet type belt - a static (manually adjustable length) one from an earlier
car is better for securing child seats.

It has to be remembered that car safety design has moved at an incredible pace
in recent years - a Spit does not have side door intrusion beams or airbags.
Also a small car will generally come off worse in an accident that a larger car.

There are a few things that all owners can do to minimise risk before a crash
though:

- check the door locks and strikers are all secure and operate correctly.
- check the seat belt webbing for damage.
- check the seat belt ratchet mechanism for correct operation if applicable
- convert to a static seat belt, which is then tightly adjusted every trip
- make sure the sills aren't rotten - they are the major side impact area on the
Spit, GT6, Herald and Vitesse (sorry, Sport 6)
- buy a roll over bar (this increases body strength / rigidity and protects your
head)
- check the A-posts (wind screen supports) for rot
- check the seat tilt mechanism is properly secured (better still fix it
permanently)
- check tyres (tread, damage & pressure) regularly
- check brakes and dampers
- drive defensively (years on a motorbike help here) - expect the other driver
to do what you don't expect

The list can go on....

I won't offer my opinion as to what I would do in your situation, that's for you
to figure out.  However, I would not advocate trying to fit a child seat in the
rear area, this was not designed for people (however small they are).

Hope this helps a little.

Pat