Re: Spit safety question...

To: "gsmith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Subject: Re: Spit safety question...
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:38:28 +0100
Greg,

> My wife is concerned about strapping our 18-month old son into his car
seat
> in the Spitfire's passenger seat. Any words of encouragement, etc. for
her?
> She's concerned about the safety and stability of the car in an accident.

Remember, the passenger seat was there long before we started carrying
children in backward facing child seats. I greatly doubt the retaining
catch (if still fitted) would hold. It was NEVER designed for such a high
forward load purpose.
What's more, I greatly doubt putting your child in the area behind the
seats is sound. This is where you stow articles like a soft top and odd
parcels - your offspring certainly doesn't fit either category. The former
are replaceable - a child is not.
If I were you, I'd keep your child and the Spitfire separate for a few
years. By looking after both to the best of your ability, the time will
soon come when you can much more safely go out in it together. When that
day arrives, you'll both enjoy it that much more. The screams of delight
from a youngster will make it worth the wait.
Believe me, I've done it - and it makes that oh too short time when your
kids are just kids that owning an LBC AND being a proud parent, take on an
entirely different and far more satisfying dimension.

John Macartney