Re: Blue Smoke release...an Update

To: brian_s@deq.state.la.us, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Blue Smoke release...an Update
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:06:57 EST
In a message dated 98-11-04 14:41:33 EST, brian_s@deq.state.la.us writes:

> Now everything works great except the
>  directional signals...I think I have a problem in the Flasher switch.  A
>  while back someone (maybe Dan Masters?) figured out how to bypass this
>  switch.  Did anybody save that?

Brian,

Unfortunately, my mod won't work for your Spit. In the '69 - '72 TR6, Triumph
used a fairly simple switch and a relay for the flasher circuit. In '73, they
switched to a complicated switch and no relay, using the extra switch contacts
to perform the functions previously performed by the relay. Your Spit also
uses the latter scheme.

Your hazard switch could be by-passed,  but it would require the addition of a
relay and some considerable rewiring.

There is though, a very simple by-pass, but one that requires a bit of care in
usage. If you wish, you can just remove the green wires from the hazard switch
and connect them together. This will by-pass the hazard switch for the turn
signals, and will still let the hazard switch turn on the hazard flasher.

There is one drawback, though - you must be sure not to use the hazard flasher
without first making sure the turn signal lever is in the off position. If
not, the hazard flasher will back feed through the turn signal switch, which
will have the same effect as turning the key on and off in sync with the
flasher. Not only is this not good, the turn signal wires will handle all of
the current normally seen by the key switch, and they are not designed for
this load.

The best thing for you to do is to take the hazard switch apart and clean the
contacts. This may need to be done fairly often, unless you get into the habit
of using the hazard switch on a regular basis. The contacts have a "wiping"
motion when used, which will help to clean the contacts. If the switch is not
used, though, the contacts will not get this cleaning action, and will "crud
up" after a while. Since the turn signals get their voltage through the hazard
switch contacts, the crud will form a high resistance, reducing the flash
rate, even to the point of not flashing at all.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74