Re: Bonnet prop length?

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet prop length?
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:28:05 -0500

In message <364C951E.F09CD5AC@gte.net>you write:
>Brian,
>I doubt there is enough distance between the two attaching points (in
>the closed position) to mount anything but the stock type rod.  But I
>would be interested to hear if anybody has tried this and what measure
>of success was achieved.
>
>Joe
>
>Smith, Brian wrote:
>>
>> I don't know the lenght but I once saw the prop rod replaced with what
>> looked like the trunk stay.  Also could you use a gas cylinder like what is
>> on a late model car?  That would be cool...unlatch you hood and it rises on

  I have done such a thing on my 78 Spitfire.  I had a set of hatch struts
  off a 86 Civic.  I made a plate for the mounting the botton of the struts
  to the front of the car ( the area where there are two bolts, one ontop the
  other).  The Honda struts swivel both on the top and bottom, so getting
  things straight was not critical.  Another motification was the enlarging of
  the top mounting holes on the fender, found a drill bit that fit into the
  original hole and when up one drill size.    The Honda struts are threaded
  at the top swivel which bolt up onto the fender mounting hole.

  I did this because my car didn't come with the original bonnet prop, it
  came with a 4 foot wooden pole.  The only thing that I didn't like was the
  civic struts are not strong enought (or they might be just old and tired)
  to keep the hood up on their own. I made a bracket that locks into place
  when it's extented.  With the struts it take less effort to open and close
  the hood.

  I'm still trying to sort out my wiring and in hopes of putting my car
  back together for next summer.  Maybe I might get around to taking some
  picture if there are enought interests.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H915       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html