Re: Bonnet prop length?

To: "Smith, Brian" <brian_s@deq.state.la.us>,
Subject: Re: Bonnet prop length?
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 00:46:38 -0000
>I don't know the lenght but I once saw the prop rod replaced with what
>looked like the trunk stay.  Also could you use a gas cylinder like what is
>on a late model car?  That would be cool...unlatch you hood and it rises on
>it own.  (until...like a late model car, the cyliders loose their charge
and
>you end up with a 2x4 holding the hood up!)

I have driven my Spitfire in the recent gale force winds across the old
Severn Bridge.  It was closed to high sided vehicles, I have never been so
scarred in my life, because if I got out I would not be able to stand.  Then
the bonnet started to lift, both catches slipped, and the thing started to
lift by about 4 inches.  If you had gas cylinders under the bonnet, you
would be doing an emergency stop pretty smartish.