Re: Carburetor Question

To: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Carburetor Question
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:25:39
The radiators mount different in the fact that a '79 and on base bracket is
bent at an angle, while a pre '74 sits vertical (or horizontal, depending
on your view)  in any case it is easy to change.  Other than that the
radiator should already have the rest of the stuff to mount it whether it
be veritcal or at an angle.  The fans while different should still be
interchangeable.  Personally, I prefer the electric fan, but would be
interested in knowing how many amps the stock Lucas one pulls?  Would an
aftermarket one be better?

Thanks, Patrick

At 03:18 PM 12/28/98 -0500, John Suchak wrote:
>That's not exactly true..   The water pumps are different in that the
>'74 had a direct fan, where the 75+ had a viscous coupling fan clutch..
>They're definately different.
>
>I believe that the 79 & 80 radiators are much different than the earlier
>ones as well..  They certainly mount differently.
>
>regards,
>
>John
>

>Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:
>>
>> Shane, stick with what works.  Your '79 manifold should bolt up fine to the
>> '74 engine (given it is a 1500)  use it, as for the water pump radiator
>> they are both 100% interchangeable.  So whichever is better or prefered go
>> with it.
>>
>> Patrick Bowen
>>
>> At 10:25 AM 12/28/98 -0500, Sizemore, Shane wrote:
>> >I have a '74 parts car with a rebuilt engine and a bad carb (spits out
>> >gas). The carb on the '74 is a ZS with manual choke. My 1979 car has a
>> >different intake with a ZS carb that has automatic choke.
>> >
>> >If I put the '74 motor in the '79, should I keep the intake from the '74
>> >and use the carb from the '79?
>> >Only problem with this is linkage for the '79 automatic choke carb., it
>> >mounts to the intake....the '74 does not have this spot for the
>> >connector plate to the throttle cable.
>> >
>> >Also, what about the water pump/radiator situation, they are different
>> >on both motors......
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance!
>> >

>> >Shane Sizemore
>> >'79 Spit