Re: I am really starting to hate this timing thing

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: I am really starting to hate this timing thing
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:45:14 -0000
You do know that the engine will run better at idle the more advanced the
ignition is, although 30 is abit excessive.  Me putting the timing from 10
to 20 deg BTDC putt's the idle right up from 600 to 1000 ish.  But then it
pinks as soon as you drive anywhere, and has no go.   The Spifire cam is
symmetrical I think so that 7 and 8 rockers should be "on the rock" at 0deg.

You really need to look at the detailed instructions and pictures that are
in the Spitfire 1500 workshop manual to set up the valve timing.  It's not
an easy job.  But getting the correct tooth is less difficult.  The marks
left on the cogs by the oil give you good clues.  Use the valve cover to
give you 0 deg.  That is near enough to allow you to pick the correct cog.

You are tensioning the chain on the right bottom side?