Re: I am really starting to hate this timing thing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I am really starting to hate this timing thing
From: cecil wise <cwise@southwind.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:34:43 -0600
Hi all,

I've been having this exact same problem with my '80 Spit.  1st I tried lining
up the dimples in the gears, then I tried setting the intake and exhaust valves
at TDC.  Next, I tried setting max valve opening at 108 degrees (I have a Kent
road/rally cam), then tried setting it using their timing figures.  All had the
same result, max power (I use this term loosely) seems to be around 25-30
degrees advance at idle, and 35-40 degrees at 3500 rpm (vacuum plugged).  Even
with the timing this advanced, it doesn't ping.  I have rebuilt this engine a
couple of times previously with good results and have had the cam for about 10
years now without problem.  As a desperation measure, I have put the original
cam back in, but haven't had a chance to get it all back together yet, so we'll
see if that fixed it, though I doubt it.  I just don't know how to solve this
one.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cecil
'65, '80 Spitfires