Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:03:07 EDT

--part1_efe40272.244937cb_boundary

<Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't think that my first post went
through:>

Hello to all.

On of the bolts holding the air cleaner to the stock carb
on my 78 spit keeps shearing.  It is the one closest to
the front of the car. The first time it happened, I had to
drill out the remains and re-tap the hole one size larger.
I have been unable therefore to replace with an OEM bolt
and have using bolts from the local hardware store.

I have now had four shear with the break point just below
the carb surface.  They seem to last about 2 days.  I have
verified that the bonnet is not making contact with the air
cleaner and I have (long since) removed the hot air
ducting and that associated weight.

Why are these freaking bolts shearing?  There's next to
no weight on them.  Any ideas?

TIA!

-Greg
78 Spit