Re: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing

To: TRIA73@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:23:37 -0400
At 06:39 PM 4/18/99 EDT, TRIA73@aol.com wrote:

>I reference to air cleaner bolts shearing, I had the same problem several
>years back when I was running with a Stromberg CD 150.  I tried grade 8
bolts
>and still had bolts shear.  My theory is that the bolts were too long and
>bottomed out when threaded into the carb body.  The additional torque
applied
>when tightening the bolts weaked them in conjunction with engine vibration
>that led to the shear.

Randy,

The carb's flange that the bolts thread into is open in back. That's why I
believe the solution is to use a shoulder bolt as originally equipped.

With all this talk of sheared bolts and stripped threads I noticed a new
rattle today.   Boy was I paranoid! Turned out to be the bonnet latches
rattling!  My heli-coiled air cleaner assy was as tight as ever.

Put 150 miles on the Spit today.   Glorious!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire

P.S. Noticed a yellow '77 for sale; and two parts cars, also on the block.
Email me off list if interested.  No personal interest etc.

"Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?"