Re: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing

To: Growe58@aol.com
Subject: Re: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:11:44 -0700
Greg,
I can't imagine why you would be having this problem.  There is not
supposed to be much weight or tension on that part and certainly not
enough to cause the bolt to shear.

I would start by looking to see if something is pressing on the air
cleaner.  Perhaps the bonnet is not clearing and exerting pressure on
it.

Good Luck,
Joe Curry

Growe58@aol.com wrote:

> --part1_efe40272.244937cb_boundary
>
> <Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't think that my first post went
> through:>
>
> Hello to all.
>
> On of the bolts holding the air cleaner to the stock carb
> on my 78 spit keeps shearing.  It is the one closest to
> the front of the car. The first time it happened, I had to
> drill out the remains and re-tap the hole one size larger.
> I have been unable therefore to replace with an OEM bolt
> and have using bolts from the local hardware store.
>
> I have now had four shear with the break point just below
> the carb surface.  They seem to last about 2 days.  I have
> verified that the bonnet is not making contact with the air
> cleaner and I have (long since) removed the hot air
> ducting and that associated weight.
>
> Why are these freaking bolts shearing?  There's next to
> no weight on them.  Any ideas?
>
> TIA!
>
> -Greg
> 78 Spit
>
> "Told my girl I had to forget her
>  Rather buy me a new caburettor"
>
> --part1_efe40272.244937cb_boundary

> From: Growe58@aol.com
> Full-name: Growe58
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:45:43 EDT
> Subject: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
>
> Hello to all.
>
> On of the bolts holding the air cleaner to the stock carb
> on my 78 spit keeps shearing.  It is the one closest to
> the front of the car. The first time it happened, I had to
> drill out the remains and re-tap the hole one size larger.
> I have been unable therefore to replace with an OEM bolt
> and have using bolts from the local hardware store.
>
> I have now had four shear with the break point just below
> the carb surface.  They seem to last about 2 days.  I have
> verified that the bonnet is not making contact with the air
> cleaner and I have (long since) removed the hot air
> ducting and that associated weight.
>
> Why are these freaking bolts shearing?  There's next to
> no weight on them.  Any ideas?
>
> TIA!
>
> -Greg
> 78 Spit