Re: ZS carb question!

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2),
Subject: Re: ZS carb question!
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:44:11 -0400
At 12:16 PM 4/16/99, Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:

>OK I need a quick reply.  I need to rebuild a ZS carb (hasn't ran in a real
>long time) I went to order the parts from some chains and they tend to show
>ZS 10cd-4t and a couple of other variations.  Which do I need.

The original Spitfire carb is a 150CD E.  I had no problem ordering a kit
from Moss.  Very complete.

> How hard is
>it to rebuild.

Being a simple carb, it is easier to rebuild than a Weber! A real piece of
cake compared to a Dellorto or Mikuni.

>Any difference between kits from different stores?

Couldn't tell you that. I do know that there are some things that aren't in
the kits that you MIGHT need (see below).

Before considering rebuilding an E (emissions) type ZS, look carefully at
the jet hole.  If it is egg-shaped instead of circular you will be wasting
your time, it will always run rich.  (The older ZSs had replacable jets.)

>What
>else should I expect.

On my current carb, I had to replace the floats and pivot pin, and install
a heli-coil in one of the air cleaner bolt holes.  I also had to replace
the o-ring in the air piston/needle valve. My bypass/deceleration valve (a
separate kit) isn't quite up to snuff either.  I'm glad my water choke has
been converted to a manual!

Any more info needed let me know.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire